Thursday, September 17, 2009

Life Is A Gamble

G.T., a 24 year old male was referred to me because of fever, rashes and decreased platelet count. His initial platelet was 76. In the management of decreased platelet like in dengue, transfusion of platelet is warranted if the platelet count is 50 or less or if there is a sign of bleeding... epistaxis, gum bleeding, tarry stools... The reason for the delay is that a rising platelet count is the gauge if the patient is already recovering from the disease.

When the patient’s platelet was already 58, the attending physician requested 3 units of platelet concentrate as standby. However the blood was not immediately available. Platelet went down to 50 and I ordered the transfusion at once. But they haven’t secured even a unit.

When we were informed that 3 units are available in another hospital, the latest platelet was already 62. I was faced with a decision whether or not to go on with the transfusion. The next platelet was 63, so I proceeded. A unit of platelet concentrate will increase the count by 10. With 3 units, I expect his platelet to rise by 30 or to 93 starting with 63. But later platelet counts after the transfusion were 67, 74, 78 and 84. This means probably that his count further decreased even after transfusion.

I compare this decision like playing black jack. When your card total is around 18 to 20, you can hit for another card. But there is a chance that you can go over 21. If I had not proceeded with the transfusion, I could have compromised the life of my patient.

No comments:

Post a Comment